Foot Safety Tips for Construction Workers
When you first think about safety, do your feet come to mind? For most, it may not be at the top of their list. Yet, foot safety is still something to pay attention to. No one needs to be reminded of that when working on a construction site. As a construction worker, you’re on your feet all day. It’s imperative that you take care of your feet when you can. Luckily for you, if you’re looking for a foot doctor in Smithtown, NY, Sound Foot Care is here to help your feet. Whether you’re looking to recover from an injury or just want a check-up, our team is here to help!
What to look for in footwear
You only have one pair of feet, so take care of them! When looking for boots that will protect your feet, you should look for:
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute) – There aren’t too many things that you should pay a lot for, but boots are worth it. Getting boots that are properly rated and tested for safety will pay for itself when it counts.
- Materials – Depending on your work environment, it’s important to take the material of your boots into consideration. If you work around a lot of chemicals, pesticides, or oil, the best boots to have are made out of polyvinyl chloride. Good strong leather is fantastic for most work as well.
- Design – Another factor to keep in mind is the design of the boot. For example, if you’re working outside, will the boots keep your feet warm and dry? You won’t be doing yourself any favors if you’re working outside and end up with wet and cold feet. If you let this problem drag on, you’ll be making that appointment for a foot doctor in Smithtown, NY sooner than you think.
- Soles of boots – Just like having different tools for different jobs, there is a sole for every boot. Certain soles will work better than other soles.
- Leather soles are great for wood floors but not so much when working on tile or concrete.
- Cleat designed soles work quite well if the ground you are working on is very slick. If working indoors, it is better to have softer soles while working outdoors.
Common foot injuries
If you skip out on quality foot protection, these are some of the injuries you’ll be putting yourself at risk for:
- Bones – If your feet aren’t properly protected, you could suffer from broken bones, loss of toes, or even crushed feet.
- Puncture wounds – Injuries from nails, staples, and potentially scrap metal that may be due to someone else’s carelessness can result in serious injury. If that happens, it is a good idea to see a foot doctor in Smithtown, NY.
- Burns – There are quite a number of ways and types of burns that can happen due to a fire, chemical issue, or electrical issue. Proper footwear can give you the protection you need.
- Typical foot injuries – Besides these potential foot injuries you can always sprain your ankle, fracture your leg, pull your hamstring, etc.
If you’re a construction worker suffering from a foot injury, our foot doctor in Smithtown, NY can give you the help you need to get you back to doing the thing you love! If you’re in need of a qualified and experienced podiatrist, contact Sound Foot Care today!